Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Crochet Time!

Hey Girls!

Okay, so i've been wanting to post these pictures for a couple weeks now, but i was too lazy. since today i was being super accomplished, i decided it's now or never.

these are the most recent projects i've completed.

First off is the painted ruffle scarf! I'm super into ruffles and anything curly, so this is perfect for me!! i used some variegated yarn from yarn bee, which i believe is a hobby lobby brand. I'm not a fan of variegated, but in this case, i couldn't be happier. This pattern was from lion brand's freebies, which you can find here. It's supposed to be made with lion brand's homespun yarn, but i really wanted to try something different, so i did. My only problem was the thickness of my yarn. It wasn't thick enough so when i went to finish it, it wasn't the thickness i wanted. What i did to solve this, was i kept adding rows until it was my desired width. Just increase an extra stitch with every extra row. Easy peasy right? :)


Up next is my granny square hat with braids. This pattern came from my positively crochet book, which i have a link for in my entry entitled "positively crochet". This isn't my favorite thing i've ever made...in fact i've only worn it once...but i think it's cute. I think half the problem was my yarn. I used Vanna's Choice yarn in chocolate, light pink, and linen. The colors are beautiful and i love the sheen it has, but because the pattern called for a slightly smaller hook, i had a problem with my yarn splitting. not fun. I know most if not all acrylic yarn splits easily, but this was driving me insane! Sadly, i think it visually affected the outcome of the hat, which makes me a little upset. Another thing i didn't like about it was when i attached the braids, it made a strange bump...actually more like a mountain, on both sides of my head. I did as the pattern said, but it wasn't super specific so i kind of felt like i was guessing. You can't really tell in the picture, but it was pretty bad. I ended up having to tear it apart and take out one of the granny squares, and i actually wish i would have taken out two. If you make this, just be careful that you don't have too many granny squares. it calls for 6, but i ended up using 5, wishing i had used 4. overall, i'm pleased how it turned out, but i wont be making it again.


Next up is the one i'm super duper excited about! this one i actually came up with on my own. I made a granny square stitch hat, and kept going until it was right at my ear lobes. Then, i took 3 different shades of purple, and made little flowers. I believe i made 9 total-so three for each color. I stitched them onto random places with yarn and a yarn needle. Then, just to add some extra sparkle, i added a crystal bead to the center of each flower with a regular needle and thread. I'm so happy with how it turned out and it was SO fun to make. My mom told me the shape of the hat reminded her of a flapper hat. It's so adorable.

This last little number is a individual square that will eventually be combined with another type of square to make a summery tote bag.(you can see i'm ready for some warm summer conditions) It's named Edwardian Fancy  Once the bag's finished, i will post a picture, but for now here's the finished square. I got the pattern out of the 200 crochet blocks book, which i also have listed on the "positively crochet" entry.




So yeah! those are my projects! I have one other thing, but i have yet to take a picture...i told you i've been lazy ;)
see ya on the flip side!
Brittany Lou<3

2 comments:

  1. Brittany, you're work is awesome! I crochet a little, but I would like to get better. I look forward to reading your future posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for stopping by my blog. all of your crocheted things look great! i especially like the flapper hat and the ruffled scarf.

    don't you just love that 200 blocks book? i made my sister a blanket of squares from that book. they were all so fun to make!

    ReplyDelete